3/17/09

Glittering!

When I am in Thrift Mode, I am most likely not in Create or Craft Mode. If I am spending the majority of my time gathering, I am typically thinking of what I want to do with things, but not necessarily doing those things. I am gathering for Someday. And then needing to purge to be able to have more room for other stuff I want to do something with Someday.

Then I get these bursts of creativity and get my little projects done, sometimes trying to do everything all at once. Which leaves me a little breathless as well as more than a bit irritated with myself that I didn't take time each day to do something that I love to do.

I wouldn't ever consider myself an Artist. Thrifter, Yes. Glitterer, Yes. House-Decorator for our home, Yes. Booth Renter, Yes. But Artist? No.

I have always had this preconceived notion that if I am going to be any kind of creative Artist, I would have to live an isolated life.
In a loft apartment.
In Greenwich Village.
With a whole lot of quiet.

Which is so far way from my life right now, the life we have created together as a family, which I LOVE. I don't want that other life of isolation!

So how to the two combine?

I picked up the extremely inspiring book by Julia Cameron while at the library the other day entitled The Artist's Way. I am only two chapters in, but already I am realizing that I do not need to buy into my previous fantasies of how I need to live to be an Artist. I just need to unblock and do. I am living in the perfect time and space to do what I want to do...I just need to do.

And taking baby steps, I am writing. And I am creating...maybe not from the ground up, but am doing those little things that I have set aside to do later.


Remember These?




This is what I was able to get done in the early morning hours while sipping my first cup of coffee. Glittering is one of my favorite things to do. It is so relaxing for me and I feel like I am getting some of my 'creating' out. I don't need to make the little deer from clay from my own hands. I can thrift those little deer and do what I want with them.






Little Steps.

6 comments:

Stacey Steimle said...

wow! those reindeer look wonderful. I will have to remember to do that with some of my animal friends. thanks for stoping by.

Songbirdtiff said...

I am very much the same way. I will gather supplies for weeks, without ever doing a thing, then all of the sudden, I get the urge to make stuff. Whatever works for you. I would be interested in hearing more about the book!

svelteSTUFF said...

Gotta love a little 'Glit-O-Therapy'!! FUN deer!

The Country Experience said...

Thank goodness--I am normal, whew. I'm the same way in my phases--accumulate for a while, then move on to using, etc. It's nice to know that is the way some other women's brains work too.

I am amazed at how you didn't get glitter everywhere. You have it down pat.

Missa said...

Perpetual gathering mode is exactly my problem and something I need to work on. Maybe I need to read this book.

The deer look so sweet all glittered up!

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

It's so refreshing to read this post, to know I'm not alone in the way that I operate!

It's quite timely that I see this book recommendation, too, as I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row to start creating on a more regular basis. I can't wait to read it!

~ Jennifer