3/27/09

Who Decorated This Place?!

Truly. Who looks at a nearly-Hundred year old Dutch Colonial and thinks "All she needs is a little track lighting to bring her up to speed".

Apparently, our homes previous owners had their own (silly) ideas on how they 'updated' our home that we have been slowly working on removing the past 10 years.

Today, our favorite electrician visited to hang some new fixtures in our kitchen area as well as the foyer.

After ripping out the lighting that was there, this is what it looks like now:


And this was our foyer lighting before:

And after:


As for the track lighting in the far back room, didn't take the 'before' photo's simply because I am trying to block out the fact that there was ever track lighting in our far back room. Hubby took that out a while back and replaced it with this:

And we took out the ceiling fan and replaced it with this (again in the far back room)
What is that on the ceiling, you ask? Behind the light? This??
Why this is ONE OF TWO SPEAKERS THAT ARE INSTALLED IN OUR CEILING THAT WAS PUT UP ABOUT THE TIME THEY INSTALLED THE TRACK LIGHTING.

Sorry, was I shouting?

Don't get me wrong...I like track lighting and ceiling speakers in the right type of house. Just not this one.

The best part of owning a home is truly making it your own, isn't it? And I am sure there will be people years after us who are ripping out our fixtures and muttering to themselves "Who does this?!"

6 comments:

Tara said...

Looks so good now! I love the lights you chose for your house, gorgeous!!

The Country Experience said...

I agree, you did a great job picking out new fixtures. That foyer light--what were they thinking?? And I won't even go where the speakers are. That is Wrong.

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

I know how hard it is to pick lighting out and you've had to pick so many pieces out! BRAVO! Great job. Looks fantastic. And the wall paint is great too.

Karen Anne said...

I wandered over here from Just A Girl and Her Craftsman Bungalow. I love your blog. I've been doing that "Who does this??!!" myself this last week :-(

Quite hard to read the pale type of a dark background, tho.

Thrifted Treasure said...

Huge improvements!! I know what you mean about owning a place, I had great fun stripping hideous wallpaper off the house we own back in Ireland, unfortunately we're renting at the mo in Sydney and I am itching to get my hands on a reno project!

Missa said...

I feel your pain Sonya. We have hideous track lighting in our far back room too! Also, we're nearing the point in our kitchen remodel where we will have to decide on light fixtures soon. Yours are so lovely!