4/3/09

Cold Antler Farm


A few weeks ago I found a book at the library entitled:

Made From Scratch-Discovering The Pleasures Of A Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich

And scooped it up to read cover to cover in one sitting. Learning about how someone takes the steps to lead a more hands-on life intrigues me. Whether it is learning to garden, knit or canning fruit, I can't get enough. We are smack dab in the center of a city, but as time goes on, I think more and more of making do with our own hands.

The best part of the book (for me) was learning how she kept chickens. I have wanted chickens for a few years now. Fresh eggs, personality, a cute little coop...what more could a girl want? And so many people these days are keeping a couple chickens in their backyards in cities!

Hubby is holding me back on the whole chicken venture, so I haven't called down to the City to see if we have any ordinances regarding live chickens in town. Since I love Hubby far more than I love the idea of a hen house, I just know it is not going to happen. So, I am living vicariously through those who DO keep chickens.

Jenna has a great blog as well that you really should browse around on: Cold Antler Farm

She posted a recipe for 'Masonades', little jars of fresh lemonade or iced tea that is well worth the click. And since we are going to be in the middle of a Spring blizzard at this time tomorrow, I am needing all the summer reminders I can get.

Enjoy the weekend!

5 comments:

Missa said...

Lucas and I have wanted to get chickens for years now and just haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but one day! Our backyard would actually be perfect for it.

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

My neighbors have chickens and sell eggs on Sunday $3 for a dozen. Right in the middle of Los Angeles. If I didn't have a day job I would want to pursue this too! xo

svelteSTUFF said...

From a girl born and bred in the country ...just remember... chicken s#!@ is the worst smelling s#!@ there is !!

THANKS for the link to CAF - GREAT site!!

Susie Q said...

Okay, I can't find the masonade post!

Anonymous said...

Really great way of life! good for you! My dream has and will continue to be to attain the life you have graciously shared with others on your blog. I live in Alaska with my boyfriend/biker,4 cats, a Russian Tortoise, and my motorcycle. I dream of a chicken coop too, and I have the area for a future cabin/loft/heated chicken coop attached to the side of the house,with an in-house entry access. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and reading about how life really can be like and to never give up on the dream.
You have made it! Good for You!