5/13/09

Cookbooks








I've been scooping up old cookbooks when I come across them...mostly under a dollar, some for a quarter, a couple for a few dollars. Sometimes, actually much of the time, reading an good cookbook satisfies me far more than a novel!

My cookbook acquisitions have mostly been from the 40's to 60's lately, some dogeared and spattered, which gives me SUCH a thrill...to think I am holding a reference tool that someone turned to time and time again. And if I can find notes in the margins saying it was a success with the family or ingredients scratched out and substituted with another, ooohhhh! Even more special.

3 comments:

svelteSTUFF said...

I just picked up a 60's 'COMMUNE COOKBOOK' - after I have 'read it' - if it is anygood I'll pass it along. You probably don't have it in your collection!!

Missa said...

I love thrifting old cookbooks, now if only I loved to cook, hmmm. Maybe if our kitchen remodel ever finally gets finished. I don't know about you but I find it hard to get inspired in the kitchen while staring at exposed wall insulation.

The commune cookbook sounds cool!

Sonya-Dime Store Thrift said...

Svelte Stuff, are you SERIOUS?! I haven't even SEEN or HEARD of that cookbook before, what a hoot!

Missa...Must.Have.Picnics. :)