7/30/09

A Little Corner Of My Home

I had some time the other evening and started cleaning out a section of the kitchen island...I love the kitchen island! So multi-functional and one of the best things we purchased for the house after we moved in. We have a small kitchen used as an eat-in kitchen by the previous owners (we have been here for 10 years) and we knew since we had a dining room, that another table wasn't necessary. But having more storage and counter tops was! So we found our little island beauty, didn't talk ourselves into down-grading and voila! It is one of the best parts of our kitchen.

There are 2 sides with shelving, a cupboard area and an open area that has shelves for pans and even wine. And a side that has a leaf that comes up and we can use to sit up to it and snack, but is down when not in use.

The other night I was cleaning out one of the side areas with shelving.
It is SHOCKING how much stuff fits in here!

First I took everything out so I could clean and dust:
...





Did you know I had a huge Gooseberry Patch cookbook collection? I have let quite a few go, but still like to collect the Christmas cookbooks that they publish...so warm and fuzzy to read. I loved when the catalogs came as little soft booklets, almost. I loved it so much, I saved them!












I have 3 shelves on this side that I get to work with:


The top shelf is where we keep tea's, kool-aid mix, the tiny old Gooseberry patch catalogs, that really cool old quarter bank (save $50!) and the other glass jars that make me happy. They remind me of little penny candy jars.


The middle shelf is filled with the above mentioned Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and my Mom's old metal recipe card holder...




And the bottom shelf has more cookbooklets, an old ice crusher, candy jars, a thermos, a silver ice bucket and a little pottery container Lu made when she was 6 that is filled with little treasures...





This little metal stand didn't fit back in very well and I was trying to figure out what to do with it...

...Until I turned around and saw the stove top!

And when everything is all dusted off and cleaned up, this is what it looks like:



I'll have to show you some other areas of the island as I continue my little cleaning quest!

I am going to be away from Dime Store Thrift for just a little while getting the kids ready for back-to-school and doing some end of summer stuff. I promise to high-tail it back to blogging ASAP.

Take care of yourself!
Sonya

12 comments:

svelteSTUFF said...

Have FUN!! We'll be awaiting your return!!

Dawn said...

I love Gooseberry Patch cookbooks too!!

Franny said...

It looks great! Awww.....end of summer already? Time's flying. Have a good break. I'll miss your happy posts :+)
{{Hugs}}
Franny

Toronto Yardsaler said...

Hi there,
I got your comment today. I recently discovered Dime Store Thrift and I think it's wonderful. I've just started working my back into older posts. I'll be a frequent flyer on your blog.
All the best,
Erin (Toronto Yard Sale Snoop)

Thrifted Treasure said...

Lovely arrangement, I've never seen those cookbooks before, they look gorgeous!

The Queen of Clearance said...

two whole weeks??? nooooo. I did see green glass in that one picture...sure you dont want to send that my way? :)

Dime Store Thrift said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luv2preen said...

Love,love,love that recipe box! I watched the original "Grey Gardens" documentary (from Netflix) last night and the older Edye Bouvier Beale had that exact recipe card box!!! I couldn't believe it! Must have been popular a few years back. Sigh-how I wish I had my mama's old recipe box.

glenda said...

I love work islands...I have a big kitchen, but it is so narrow, I can't' find room for one...
Good Job finding one that meets your needs..

Kathie @ my net finds said...

an award for you! :-)

http://mynetfinds.blogspot.com/2009/08/youre-gem.html

Elizabeth Holcombe said...

Very very nice! What a lovely little corner of your sweet home!~~XXOO, Beth

beth said...

wow! it was fun cleaning with you...:) makes me want to do the same.