10/22/09

Controversial Decluttering

This morning was spent going through Lu and Bud's memory boxes that we have for artwork and so forth. Two of Lu's and one of Bud's.

Large Rubbermaid's.

Lu is at school and I distracted Bud with a couple boxes of toys he hadn't seen in a while and then I went to work digging through the boxes of memories. We have saved everything from the moment they were born (as well as quite a bit of prenatal paperwork) to items from last week.

Things I did not throw out: Pictures, report cards, important paperwork, some artwork, awards, playbills, Lu's last sippee cup, blankies, outfits we brought both children home in, a couple shirts they loved, anything that will land in their baby books at some point...

Things that I did: Artwork that teachers did when Lu was 6 months old and in daycare, preschool calendars from 8 years ago, artwork that simply involved gluing, reports on the amazon from 4 years ago, thank you notes for Christmas gifts from elementary teachers, notes of paper from every single day that Ly was in daycare telling me what she ate that day, when she napped and such...

It has taken me a looooong time to get to this point. But I really had to go through all this stuff and get it cleared out. I mean, seriously, do I need little notes of paper from daycare years 11 years ago?? Did I want to remember every day when Lu was in daycare before I became an at-home Mom??

Do you have memory boxes for your kids? Have you been able to declutter them yet and figure out the important stuff as opposed to the clutter?

Something else that I would like to tackle decluttering is pictures...I have saved every.single.picture I have taken, ever. Well, pictures before digital cameras and the ability to delete the bad ones, I mean. But I still have all of the good pictures as well as the terrible and out-of-focus ones from when I would get film developed. So another goal will be to get rid of the terrible ones. Have you done this yet?

8 comments:

The Queen of Clearance. said...

my mom did a major declutter on that recently, she kept some weird stuff...like you did and decided it was time to get rid of it. Some of it I took and kept for myself!

Frugalchick said...

Yes! I decluttered my photos (out of focus, just plain bad, etc) this month and it felt GREAT.

Good job decluttering so much of the kids' stuff. I don't have children of my own yet, all of the (I'll say it) junk that my MIL kept all these years has been a bit of a burden on us. There's just so much *stuff* that there was no reason to hold on to. We toss what we can, but we feel too guilty to let go of a lot of the miscellaneous paperwork, cards, etc. And I don't want to pass on that sort of guilt to my own children.

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Well, sort of. I took hundreds of pictures when I was in school in France, many of places I have no idea where I was and of people whom I can't remember either. So I shredded them. Why? Because I find it sad when I see pictures lying in the street from someone's garbage, and I didn't want to depress someone else. While I love traditional photography, the best thing about digital is that we can pretty much save as much as we can stuff on a drive.

More to shred some day.....

Stan

sheri (Green and Crunchy) said...

5 big keepsake totes await my attention in the crawl space. Ugh. What has inspired all your great decluttering? I am impressed!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Queen, It is amazing what we keep!

Frugal, I think of that too, that someday someone is going to have to deal with our stuff...it does make us more mindful.

Stan, You are right, it is sort of sad to see pics like that...I always get bummed to see framed pics at Goodwill.

Sheri, Ugh, 5 totes! I mentally send you a big cup of caffeine on that day:)

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I limited my children's memory boxes to one bank box each. Oh the Sunday nights when they would pull those out and relive their memories. My oldest two are married now and the boxes went with them. : )
M.L.

Shanna said...

Glad to know I am not the only one who "collects" every photo they ever took and/or were sent to them. ;) I have my grandma's old cedar chest, full to the brim with pictures of the past 30 years, since I got my very first Kodak Instamatic camera. ;) Too bad I don't know how to do that scrapbooking thing.

Sue said...

My "kids" are 27 and 30. I still have their memory boxes, but they are not that big. I finally went through stuff when I moved 5 years ago and a LOT went into the recycle bin. I have some baby clothes I kept, as well. The big item I have is the cradle my Dad made - that is NEVER going away. Hopefully grandchildren (and niece and nephew children as well) will get to sleep in this wonderful cradle made by their great-grandfather.