10/21/09

Decluttering My Computer


Here is where all the magic happens. HA! Just kidding. Here is where I tippetytap out all these posts...

And when I am not doing that, I am checking email on dimestorethrift@aol.com and on my personal email address.

Or checking out my favorite blogs that link me to another blog to look at.

And then I need to check out my Etsy shop and update that. And respond to any Convos. And while on Etsy, might as well see what my favorite shops are stocking.

Or download some pic's to get them off my camera and ready to edit.

Then I will zip over to Perez or People (I mean, um, The Wall Street Journal online) and see what is newsworthy.

And then I go through some of the sites that I have listed under Favorites...the online newspaper from our hometown, the local news online for weather, Lu's school blog to see what homework is coming up, Twitter (how old am I, again??), the local library to see what books are due or being held...

This can take 10 minutes or 4 hours. Seriously. I need to get more focused while online. There are only so many hours in the day!

So I went through the 487 sites that I had listed under favorites, visited them and decided if there were still a blog/site I would be interested in looking at. I put all my favorite Etsy shops under Favorites on Etsy so they were all in the same place, instead of just having them bookmarked. I deleted YouTube videos I had bookmarked. I deleted cat pictures bookmarked on my favorite cat website. I got rid of online recipes, tutorials and how-to articles that I had bookmarked. I hadn't looked at them in a year!

And let me tell you, it was liberating. I don't feel as tied down to the computer as I once did...it started to feel a bit ADD-ish trying to get anything done online.

Have you done any computer de-cluttering? How did you do it and what worked for you?
(Just don't tell me you un-bookmarked my blog, haha!)

8 comments:

SellingVintage said...

Sometimes I swear we are thinking on the same wave! I had to take my computer in to Apple just the other day and was completely embarrassed, like someone just walked into my uber-messy house, when Mr. Genius turned my computer on and all of my clutter was visible right there on my desk top! Safe to say all the clutter is still there but there's a new addition on my "to do" list.

Beth said...

Thanks for the reminder. I know I need to do this. I have waaaay too many sites bookemarked. Most of them I haven't gone back to :(

glenda said...

Boy, do I need to do that, too. Mostly I need to get about 3000 pictures off of it...so many duplicates, etc.
Thanks for the reminder, I know my computer would run faster, poor thing, I have so much on here, I don't know how it still goes on...
on my to do list...check*

Thrifted Treasure said...

I did something similar recently!! Went through my Blog reading list and paired it down a bit, sorted all my photos etc. Yours sounds MEGA organised now! I hate to do this to you but I've recently come across 2 more blogs I LOVE and you might:

http://modishvintage.blogspot.com/
http://www.poetichome.com/

The Queen of Clearance. said...

oh my...you sound just like me! esp with perez and people.

sheri (Green and Crunchy) said...

My computer is filled with chaos! I really need to do a computer-decluttering...I should follow your lead. I have all sorts of silly stuff bookmarked and it is all so distracting!

Good for you for getting that done -- it must feel good to have all that virtual-decluttering done!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Isn't it funny how we all think alike? I am LOVING this community of mindful time spending:)

Jewell at Foxglove said...

I'm just starting to get the hang of this blog thing. So happy I found you. Love the"dimestorethrift"
name. I grew up when we still had real dime stores. Think I have to link you to my blog.
Jewell