1/25/10

Vintage Coat Love

Lu is going to be in a play next month and we spent Friday night at Goodwill looking for very specific clothing that she needed for her part. She found nothing. Actually she found a pair of boots for the play, but we needed a lot more than that.

*I* however found THIS:

A Vintage Fantles Department Store Coat With Faux Fur Collar! Here is the front...




And the back...






This coat is so ugly it is FAB-U-LOUS! And it doesn't seem to have ever been worn! I am in love.

The next day I took Lu to a different thrift store that I like to think of as my personal secret clothing store. And they were having a $4 bag sale! And we found every single item she needed within 10 minutes! My favorite part of that shopping experiance was when I said to Lu "We need to find you a coat that will work" and heard a saleswoman say to another saleswoman "Where do you want me to put this coat?"...I turned around, saw the old 20's style pale blue pea coat in Lu's size that she was holding and said over the rack of clothing "WE'LL TAKE IT!"

Ahhh, Mother-Daughter thrifting...

14 comments:

junkdreams said...

I am loving this coat!!!
Happy day!
xojanis

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

I'm swooning. It's gorgeous.
I love vintage clothing. It's getting harder to come by these days.
I've been selling on ebay for years, but I'm thinking of trying etsy.

Happy Vintage shopping with your girl!
~Amy

svelteSTUFF said...

Mother/Daughter bonding at it's finest!!

svelteSTUFF said...

Mother/Daughter bonding at it's finest!!

Jenny S said...

OMG!! Jealous!! I love that coat! Too pretty and looks just MY size!! hehehe!

Ninny said...

The original State Capital of Oklahoma was Guthrie, now a fabulous mecca of Victorian architecture and antique/thrift stores. I have seen many coats from the twenties there, but my favorites are coats from the 50's and 60's. Your find is absolutely a treasure! And your daughter is learning from The Master!

Liz

Amy Kinser said...

Love this coat. What a great find.

Marilyn said...

Would love to see the outfits for the play sometime....maybe?

heidi said...

OOooh! What a beauty! I [heart] thrifty karma!

Mick said...

Love the coat! Wer have one in our Theater Stash of Clothes at the Casablanca my friend wears it and smokes a ciggaret when she does her Bette Davis impressions!

Evelyn Fernandez said...

Great find! I love it when you go to a thrift store and you find all the stuff you need within 10 minutes!

vintagelaundress said...

I'm so "jail-ous"!!!! What a beautiful coat - marvelous find!
xo
LeAnn

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Isn't is stunning?! I love that you are all loving it too...simply too good to walk away from.

And Marilyn, I will try to get some pics taken...Tomorrow? Maybe! :)

Mary said...

Très chic! I love your new coat. I'd wear that in a heartbeat and feel so glamorous. Have you ever read "Alligators, Old Mink and New Money" by Alison Houtte? I think you'd get a kick out of it. She's a former Paris/NY model who has her own vintage clothing store in NYC.