1/7/10

Where Did All The Fruitcake Go?!

Here is a post from last year about this time:

SLICE UP THE FRUITCAKE!

I can't be the only one who always thinks of the lyrics in the Angela Lansbury song "We Need A Little Christmas" from "Mame" whenever I think of fruitcake.

I may be the only one who actually likes a nice slice, however. I always have from the time I was a wee one and my Great Aunt Ruth always sent one along with a fruit basket and those assorted Hickory Farm cheese and meat packs for our family Christmas present. Never cared for the odd shaped cheeses in those packs, but OH! Those circular tins of fruitcake!

Typically, I don't seek fruitcake out until the week after the holidays end. It's not even thought of! Which is funny, but I guess there are so many other good things to eat in the weeks leading up. So it is afterwards that I make a trip to the Christmas treat aisle where I drool over the 50% off good truffles and then find the best fruitcake that is left. SO yummy with a cup of hot tea in the afternoon and just a small amount does the trick to satisfy a sweet tooth.


The reason I am re-posting it? To savor the taste of the fruitcake of last year. I went searching for my fruitcake this past week...and they are gone. All Gone! There is not a fruitcake to be found in Sioux City. So I am just going to try to remember how good it tasted last year. And next year, I won't wait. Another lesson learned. Sigh.

9 comments:

The Elegant Thrifter said...

So sad! You know, I didn't start liking fruitcake until later in life and prefer it toasted! If there's still one lying around here in New York, I'll box it up and send it your way. Stan

Ninny said...

Fruitcake! As a child, I loved the cake, but never the fruit. So I always carefully picked out each colorful little chunk, a tedious job but worth the effort. Today, I usually turn my nose up at the mention of the word, but if placed on a delicate plate of country roses, I wouldn't be able to turn it down!

Liz
http://ninnysnotesblog.blogspot.com

Sue said...

I liked it when I was growing up, but I ate homemade, not storebought. I can remember buying the little containers of fruit and helping Mom make it. I think I have the recipe somewhere - I have her recipe box.

Penny said...

Sonya, I am so sorry about your fruitcake dilema. I have half of one in my fridge. I would send it to you if it didn't go against every sanitation code in the country. I will think of you when I have a slice and wish we could share that cup of tea. Penny

Frippery said...

MMMM, I love good fruitcake. Haven't had any in a while. A friend brought home made stoelen to our house for New Years. Almost as good!

Linda said...

I like fruit cake, well some of it! I am not a huge fan but it does seem like something one should have at Christmas. I missed out on one this year also....not sure why! Hmmmm but now that you mention it I didn't really SEE a lot of fruit cakes this year in the stores. What is up with that?

~~Carol~~ said...

Wait a minute! Someone else in the world besides me likes fruitcake? I got some surprisingly good fruitcake from WalMart the day after Christmas. I sooo wish I had bought more....

Lisa E said...

And here I thought I was the only one that liked fruitcake. I haven't had it in years though. I don't even remember seeing it in our stores in Pittsburgh.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

And I thought that I was alone in my fruitcake love! Who Knew?! THIS might be why we all get along so well--we know that fruitcake is GOOD!! :)