2/12/10

Soldering

So.

About a year ago I started thinking about making jewelry. Not that I have ever made jewelry before. But there were some specific pieces that I had the feeling of "Well! I could do THAT!"

Then a month ago I started thinking about soldering this jewelry because I realized in my extensive google searching that soldering was what I was going to need to do to make these specific pieces.

About two weeks ago I emailed my 'soldering expert' who patiently explained to me what soldering was...my questions ranged from "It is like using a blow torch? Is it like welding? Is it scary?" because I am pathetic like that. My S.E. (soldering expert) asked me what I was trying to do. I tried to explain. Which is not easy to do when you haven't a clue as to what you are trying to do other than "I want it to look my favorite owl necklace! It apparently has lead free solder around the edges!"

I think I might be annoying with my ignorance coupled with enthusiasm.

After much questioning, my S.E narrowed down what I was trying to do and embarked on a mission to help me figure out how to do this, because my S.E. is awesome. And thus encouraging me on my jewelry dream which at this point has become a wee bit of an obsession. I am gonna be a jewelry star.

Doesn't everyone tackle new projects thinking along these lines?

And even though I have honestly 10 much more important things I need to be doing, I gathered all my supplies together on Wednesday. And tried to solder for the first time. Because I have a jewelry dream and that is the most important thing right now. Really this is how I think. It is sad.

Anyway...the soldering? Not so good. Do you know how HOT those solder guns get?! I knew but didn't really KNOW that I was going to be MELTING METAL. I knew, but didn't really know.

I can't even show you the end result. I am going to save it, of course, because it will be funny to look back on some day when *I* am a S.E. and everyone is buying my amazing jewelry.

But for now? I am going to take a break from melting metal for a week or so.

6 comments:

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I've thought about making jewelry too, but I have no clue how. :-)

Linda said...

Maybe it will be easier next time. Good luck!

Jenny S said...

lol...once I started making jewelry I could not stop...now I sell at three different shops in the area..I guess I should start an etsy shop!!

Heidi said...

I have been where you are, and have the burns on my fingers to prove it. :)

What I learned is that soldering is HARD. It is hard to get the solder all smooth and pretty and nice so that it looks like the pieces I've bought, and not like a blind monkey did it! Soldering takes lots of practice to get really good at, which is bad for me because generally when I start another craft adventure, I want to be good at it RIGHT NOW. I'm not so patient.

Good luck, and keep practicing! I too have that first piece that I'm saving so that some day I can look back on it and chuckle at how far I've come. I feel like perhaps I'm going to be holding onto it for a while. :)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Good for you! Nothing like learning something new... :-)

I've done a gazillion pieces of stained glass....the solder hurts but the edges of the glass? YIKES!

Stick with it....you'll get it.....and it really is a lot of fun. I've been going to make jewelry forever, but still haven't gotten to it.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Jan (J.T.) Thomason said...

ROTF - you're not alone! it just takes practice and then i'll be first in line to see how much you're selling your jewelry for and then i might buy!

also, is there a shop around there that offers soldering classes? VERY HELPFUL, a class:)

Loved your post, Jan