3/26/10

American Pickers--Dime Store Thrift Style

I went somewhere yesterday.

I can't tell you where.

There was a promise to a friend of mine that I wouldn't tell anyone where we were going. (You know how us thrifters can be when we find a goldmine of treasures...sometimes we keep those goldmines secret so they don't get over-worked...) Well, I did tell Hubby, because that would have been odd if I didn't.

Here is what I can show you. We stopped off to put gas in the car and then picked up another friend from Memory Lane...


I had my purse...


Bud...


Lu...


Bottled water, sanitizer...


Crackers...


Magic Treehouse books-on-CD for the kids to listen to on the way...


A highway...


And the treasures that I 'picked'...











After settling the kiddos into a quiet corner with their Nintendo DS games, I started looking around me.

We dug through boxes! Oh! The boxes!There were so many things to look at I could hardly stop to gather these items up.

An hour later, I took these to the owner of the goldmine and tentatively put them on the counter for him to decide how much money he wanted for the lot. I didn't know what to expect.

He riffled through all the stuff. (There were a couple of other things in the pile, but those are for Holly, the winner of the let-me-thrift-for-you giveaway and I want them to be a surprise for her...)

He took the cards out of the old maid box and showed me the ones that were rare. He told me not to even think about getting rid of the box that held the candles. He lovingly handled the vintage easter picks, the small penguin and the shiny brite nativity animals, the pewter moose and venus, he understood how I liked boxes, especially plastic boxes that hold tiny treasures...he, too, loved old packages of gold deer.
I didn't make any sudden movements.

I smiled and nodded.

I was scared he was going to say that none of it was for sale or that he might want quite a bit more money than I was expecting to pay.

I was nervous.

Then he looked up, grinned and said "I'll take $7 for it all!"
"OK!!" I said, happily digging into my bag for the money.

And so begins the beginning of a beautiful thrifting partnership. Even though I must continue to keep the place a secret, because I am a woman of thrifting honor with my fellow thrifting friends, I will certainly be able to show you the treasures that are unearthed.

8 comments:

Mick said...

Dont you love it when that happens?! I really like the birthdya candles! They are so cool, and to think STILL in the box! the Milo-de-venus is good too!

Mick said...

Dont you love it when that happens?! I really like the birthdya candles! They are so cool, and to think STILL in the box! the Milo-de-venus is good too!

Susan S. said...

What a wonderful day! And how fun that you had Bud and Lu with you (LOVE Lu's shoes...L:)) The old maid cards are great. I've looked ALL over for Old Maid cards and found two boxes on Ebay. My next door neighbor loved them as a child (me too) and had been looking for a deck FOREVER. So at Christmas I did Ebay and found some but they are different from the ones you got. I like yours...:)

Happy Spring from Houston, TX

Ninny said...

Oh Goody! That means more to come! Fun, fun, fun!

Liz

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

My "secret" places are no more...somehow the "word" gets out!hmmmmmmm......
Fun finds and a great price!
Estate sale for me tomorrow!
Deb :)

Sue said...

NICE! Looks like friends for your owls. I have some "pick" as well - Peanuts (Charlie Brown, Lucy, and Snoopy) and nativity (old -these are cool).

What good luck you had! Can't wait to see more.

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

Oh! I saw my name! ☺ (Holly closes ears and eyes!)

Linda said...

Wonderful finds, hope you can continue to pick there!