4/29/10

Gardening 2010

Hubby and Bud have been working hard the last couple days...building me a garden! The past few years we used our salvaged window flower boxes. But this year I have a 4 foot by 8 foot plot of land to cultivate!

I watched them build it...



And fill it...


And then I got distracted and started wandering the property and taking pictures.








Then I got thirsty. These are really yummy if you are into this kind of thing...


And sipped my beverage, inhaling deeply the scent of lilac while watching my boys work.


Don't feel bad...my hard work in the garden begins this weekend and then Hubby can be the one watching from the patio!

I am most definitely planting tomatoes, cukes and basil and have been tossing around the idea of a bit of zucchini, green beans, pea pods and a couple carrots. You would think I had a far bigger garden than I do! But I am getting pretty good at gardening in small spaces.

How about you? Are you planting this year? What are your MUST HAVES in your garden?

8 comments:

Sue said...

I live in a condo - I have a few flowers in pots! When you mentioned zuchinni, I had to tell you about my mother's garden. She never had a big garden once she had to go to work (Dad's health forced him to quit). But she always had cherry tomatoes, pear tomatoes, and a zuchinni. One year she had my younger son spend the day. She recorded it as a photo essay. They went out and picked zuchinni. Jacob learned how to cut and peel and grate. They made zuchinni cookies (and possibly bread, can't remember anymore). She kept taking pictures all the way through. That would be fun for you to do with your kids. Happy gardening!

CelticDragonfly said...

I usually just lurk around here..But these pictures just called to me and I wanted to ask permission to use them in my inspiration book.

SixBalloons said...

I am trying out "Little Marvel" peas this year in my garden. They are supposedly ideal because they are an 18" bush rather than the big long vines.

Barbara at Oodles and Oodles said...

I cannot wait for the garden season! No matter how many carrots we plant, we never have enough. They bear no resemblance to anything I buy at the store the rest of the year.

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

I love raised beds! I'm not sure where I'm going to be living this Summer so I don't know if I can plant veggies- but no matter where I go, I will always grow flowers! ♥

Jennifer said...

Irises, poppies, black eyes susans (our state flower) peonies, roses, parsley, basil,cilantro -lavendar, glads. I'm pretty much a herb and perennial girl. Our dog eats any veg we plant even if it's not ripe - no matter how many fences we put up - she finds a way! Lol, Jennifer peek in at jennsthreegraces

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Your garden is divine! And your grass so green. Gorgeous! Stan

CC said...

Sonya..
It's been awhile since I've visited,and I'm so enjoying catching up on what you've been doing and finding. But I just had to comment on
these pictures..they're simply gorgeous. Sp peaceful,so calming..just breathtaking gorgeous.
Thank you for sharing them..