5/29/10

Whiny About The Heat, Yet Gardening

(The garden the day we planted...)


I don't like to complain, BUT...it feels like August. Humid and 92 and I am melt-ing.

And yet I carry on with my gardening as a good gardener should. Every morning and every evening, you will find me up at my small plot of land, doing extensive weeding. I exaggerate. It takes maybe two minutes. But I like to act as though I am doing a whole lot more than what I am.

Even though *I* am unhappy with all this heat and humidity, the veggies are thriving!

(the garden just a couple of hours ago...)


Snowpeas (from seeds!), cukes and green peppers...


Cukes...


Watermelon (From seeds!)...


Basil (from seeds!)...


Red Onion (from bulbs or whatever you call them!)...

Can you tell I haven't planted 'from seed' before?
Mmmmm...I can almost taste the salads that shall be made!

7 comments:

Ninny said...

Fresh homegrown veggies...much better than those shipped up here from south of the border. Enjoy!

Liz

ismoyo said...

Jealous! I wish i had a garden in which i could grow my own veggies! Living in NY a garden will be just a beautiful dream!

glenda said...

Yay for you...isn't it fun.
Planting from seed is so much fun.
your garden is so pretty.
happy sweating, ugh!!!
glenda

C. Dianne Zweig said...

Stopping by to say hello....happy gardening.

Dianne
kitsch n Stuff

Shelley Germann said...

It is amazing how quickly the garden can turn around. I've been watering religiously because I don't want to chance losing anything! I see you're doing "square foot" gardening...that's the only way to go!

Susan said...

You may need to thin some of those seedlings - especially the basil ones. It hurts to nip those tender leaves off...but it will help the plant in the long run. See what your seed packet says - and don't pay too much attention to the rows...but the distance between plants. If it says 3 inches between plants, just make sure there are 3 inches between plants.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

I thinned the basil yesterday and it WAS painful to do it...but I am sure it will be better for them. Thanks for the advice!