1/3/11

Happy New Year!

It has been a delightful Christmas break with the kiddos home from school...other than the fact they have both been under the weather.
The. Entire. Time.

So we have been nestled in at home for a good week and a half! Which hasn't been all that bad. We have been forced to take things slooooow around here.


Lots of reading, lots of movies, lots of snuggling on the couch, lots of early bedtimes and sleeping in, steamy baths, lots of homemade soup and hot tea and cups of warm Tang...do you remember that stuff? It is a must-have for when I am under the weather and Bud has taken to it. We heat up the kettle of water to fill our mugs and then add one scant spoonful of Tang to the hot water...just enough to flavor it a bit. Lu, on the other hand, is not as into the mug of Tang as Bud and I are. She prefers her orange juice in real form with real pulp in a chilled glass with a bit of cracked ice. We think that she is missing out.

Thankfully everyone is getting back on their feet and the bug seems to have skipped Hubby and I.

Friday was spent taking down the Christmas decorations. It was snowing and blowing and obviously we were going no where, so we cranked up the Christmas music again and started the dismantling. I carefully went through the decorations before packing them away. A couple items made their way to the Goodwill donation bag, a few will be listed on Etsy next year and the rest boxed up until we take them out again next November. What a bittersweet feeling to have the Christmas season come to an end.

But on the heels of that is SIMPLIFYING for the New Year!

I stopped by Memory Lane for a while late yesterday afternoon and removed the remaining Christmas items. Some of those will be set aside for the next run at the Christmas season and more than a few things were bagged up to drop off at Goodwill. A fresh start to January! The booth was a tad bit empty when I left but I've been daydreaming about what I want it to look like next, so that empty space has been quite inspiring, in its own way.

A larger de-cluttering will be taking place today at home...this is such a good time of year to do that! I am thinking that the kids will get in on this as well before they go back to school. If I hand them a container to put things in they are ready to donate, they have a way of surprising me with what they are ready to pass on to someone else.

Have you been clearing things out? What moved on? What is inpiring you? I would love to hear about it!

Sonya-Dime Store Thrift

6 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Hi Sonya, glad to hear the kiddos are getting better. I am working on taking down all my decorations. This is the year of organization for me. I am editing my decorations and then packing them and marking the boxes so next year will be easier. Then on to the rest of my home. It's gonna be a long year! hugs, Linda

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Well, I guess I had better get started.. you have motivated me.
A lot to clear out here : )
Hubby & sons are in your neighborhood, hunting... telling me that it is "almost" to cold to be out there :) Even the deer & Pheasants are taking cover :)
(we had talked of me going along, as you had written about some great thrift stores... maybe next time :)

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Linda, it is a PROJECT, isn't it?! I love that you are marking boxes, you will thank your January self next season:)

Kathy! Wouldn't that have been AWESEOME? Next time you simply must come along, we could have so much fun!

Sue said...

I'm trying to feel inspired - I have so much STUFF (Christmas and otherwise) and it's time to do something about it. Here I sit on the 4th day of a 4 day weekend and have not started! (I've just been enjoying not having to go to work, holding cats, and either quilting or knitting.) But I did make a list last night. Not a comprehensive one covering the whole house - but a get-started list. I find that crossing things off helps me feel like I've accomplished something. So I will try to get a few things crossed off today. Baby steps! Reading about what you do helps.

Glad the kiddos are getting better, and that you and hubby have escaped the germs!

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

I really want to start decluttering this year, but the task seems overwhelming - where to start? Well, yesterday I decided to start small by going through boxes of old papers first. Now on to the next task :)

Happy New Year, I am glad I found your blog!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Second trip to Goodwill...with outgoing stuff for a change.