1/29/11

The Simple Things:

I am the very first to admit I am not much of a seamstress...but I can fix a button or a seam very nicely. I normally cringe a bit when brought an item that I need to fix. But when Lu brought me her Dorothy dress yesterday, I was more than happy to gather up my supplies. I use my Mom's old basket to keep my 'tools' in:




As you can see, I use the term 'tools' very loosely! I have enough in there to do very simple fixes:



I don't know the last time I enjoyed sewing something so much! It was just a calm, soothing activity, which was very needed at that time.



I took my time, didn't rush through...and fixed several issues with the dress:



Not to be all dramatic, but this week (and the past couple) have brought so many things into perspective for me. I am taking the time to truly enjoy the little things that present themselves to me through the day. The acts of kindness that have been given are overwhelming at times and I am filled with gratitude for so many people in my life (those that I know well and those I have never even met face to face) and feeling extremely blessed.

I should be back to regularly posting again next week.

Have a great weekend and STAY HEALTHY!

Sonya

7 comments:

DFWgirliegirl Housewife said...

I think I enjoy hand sewing the most, it IS a very calming task. And what a cute dress to work on. Who wouldn't love working on a "Dorthy" dress???!!!???

Sue said...

Very nice. I love the picture of the sewing basket. I inherited my Mom's wooden sewing box - a treasure. Of course I have several small rubbermaid boxes with various other tools!

I love hand work - it is special and often calming. Hand-quilters (including me) will tell you it's cheaper than a therapist. And feeling the fabric - ummmm... Wonderful! (I have to put my hands in my pockets at quilt shows that feature antique quilts, since you're not supposed to touch.

I'm so glad to see you are getting better - looking forward to more posts soon!

Ninny said...

Oh Sonya! Sounds like you were in the hospital with your bad pneumonia and the stuff that goes with it! I hope you are resting comfortably and recovering. Take it easy and don't let the need to get things done give you a set back. I know it can be overwhelming. My week was horrible, horrible, too but for a different reason. I did blog about it, so if you're up to reading stop by and catch up. So glad you are home and feeling better! Now, take care!

Ninny said...

Sonya, how scary! I am so glad you recovered! I look forward to more or your wonderful glue gun exploits! You inspire me, you know... (:@

Teresa - in the Middle Side of Life said...

My MIL had a sewing basket much like that. Brings back fond memories.

AuntLou said...

These are two things which also have been included in my life lessons.
They are touchstones for when life gets "too" - too busy, too uncertain, too overwhelming.
At a time when I was not sure I would live, priorities shifted and Love shone clearly. When a loved one stood on the edge, I found hand work, especially knitting, soothing.
Recovery takes time. Blessing upon yours!

Cheapo Mimi in Nashville said...

Oh my goodness! That is exactly like my grandmother's "button basket" that I inherited. How neat. I'm glad you are slowly coming back to life!