2/20/11

Sewing and Wizard Of Oz

While at Goodwill for 10 minutes last week, I found this book:




I really am wanting to learn how to sew! But the sad thing about that is...I think I have a child in the 1960's who is 6 years old and would wear things like this:



And I as that child's mother would be outfitted in clothing like this:


Not realistic. But that is what I think of when I think of my self sewing!

And thank you ahead of time for indulging me, but I simply HAVE to show you some pictures from the Wizard of Oz play...these kids have worked so hard for the past 3 months and it is sad to see the play end. And Dorothy completely OWNED that part!! Speaking as the proud Mommy who gave birth to that child...





Now that we are completely healthy again and the play has wrapped, I should be getting back into my regularly scheduled programming this week. Whew!

9 comments:

Linda said...

you have every right to be proud of Dorothy......she looks great. Keep up thrifting.........if I can shop I love to see what other find.

Sue said...

Dorothy is beautiful!

Learning to sew tip: my Mom taught my SIL to sew - to get her started, she drew lines and circles on paper and had her stitch (no thread), following the lines, to get used to running a machine. (Be sure to change needles when switching to fabric). Taking a class is strongly recommended, unless you have a friend who is a good teacher. Another tip: pressing seams is at least as important as the actual sewing, so don't stint on that.

Kari. said...

I had that book! In fact, I might still have it laying around. I never used it, but I do know how to sew -- learned at my grandma's elbow.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Thanks for the Dorothy Love!

There is a VERY good chance that book is going to land on Etsy. I think I *might* like the idea of it more than the work. And I am worried noone will wear those adorable vintage styled clothes!

~~Carol~~ said...

I can only imagine how proud you must be! I would think that Dorothy would be a dream role for any young actress. I remember my daughter watching that movie over and over, pretending she was Dorothy, and I still have her ruby slippers!

Melinda9 said...

What a great looking production. There's even a Toto! Congratulations to Lu.

The Elegant Thrifter said...

I do love a perky trim! And congratulations on offically being a stage mom! x Stan

dogsmom said...

The Oz cast looks amazing. I wish I would be able to sit in on a performance like that.
winter has meant no thrift opportunities here and I am having serious withdrawl pangs.

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

Thanks for sharing!! I'm glad the play was awesome!! I was hoping it would be!! Congratulations to Lu and the rest of the kids!!!