3/14/11

Hoarding

Have you seen Hoarders: Buried Alive? We catch it every so often on TV, late at night. It isn't anything I search out, it's more of a 'there's nothing on, we might at well watch this for a bit' sort of a show for us.

I am going to be honest here.

That show scares the hell out of me.

As one of my Twitter buddies said, there is a fine line between collecting, reselling and hoarding.

When the show starts, I usually start looking anxiously around the room about 2 minutes into the episode thinking in a panic about what needs to be cleaned out. My mind is racing...How long has it been since I cleaned out my makeup drawer? Do I really need *5* pairs of black tights?? Is it necessary or could this be the beginning of something dangerous? Will I be interviewed at some point sobbing, holding onto the cardboard of 300 rolls of used paper towels, saying it all started because I had *5* pairs of black tights?!

As you know, I have been trying to clear things out. I am not a hoarder, I simply have some things that are not necessary to my pursuit of happiness and contentment. OK, a more than a few things. Over the past week or so, I have gone through the booth leftovers and took a bunch to Goodwill because I have no interest in them anymore...the kids and I went through their rooms to weed out things for Children's Closet...I've been eyeing my studio area with a raised eyebrow and am working on letting go of a few things in there. That is taking longer than I expected. But I have been distracted by the kids' stuff. And that is my excuse for that right now.

So as I am getting good at this purging of goods, I am getting focused on my thrifting as well. I simply cannot buy something just to buy it. Because when it comes home with me, it needs to either go somewhere specific in our home or it needs to get listed on Etsy. I can't just 'hold onto things' to be holding onto them anymore. Except for Christmas items. That is a whole other subject. Because you have to buy them when you see them! And then hold onto them to list them on Etsy in September! Am I being defensive? I have *5* pairs of black tights. I own my defensiveness. Truly, I wish someone would pinch me every time I needed to get things listed in my shop. I am terribly good at procrastinating about that and am really trying to change that habit.

It seems that we are all in this process of clearing things out of our lives that just are not working for us anymore. I hope it has been successful for you, too!

Items that are marked and ready to go to Children's Closet:




Items to be listed on Etsy:

15 comments:

Barbara at Oodles and Oodles said...

I don't know anyone in my blog world that isn't afraid of "Hoarders." Although I must say - I don't know anyone (online or otherwise) who even begins to approach that level! And I'm including myself in that. I do find it useful, though, because I cannot watch it without grabbing a drawer to clean out. You are not alone, Sonya!

Marilyn said...

I too always want to clean house after I watch that show. I'm no where near that bad. But lately I've been feeling like I really don't need so much stuff. I guess it is the economy or just getting older!! We will see when g-sale season starts pretty soon. And I'm planning on having a g-sale myself this spring.

svelteSTUFF said...

Isn't that the SCARIEST show ever?!! Sometimes I make J watch a few minutes of it just to prove that I'm really not all that bad ;D !

Good luck with 'Project Purge'!!

~~Carol~~ said...

Every time I watch that show, I grab a banana box and start filling it up! But I don't think of any of us as hoarders. We don't have trash or disgusting stuff piled shoulder deep in our homes. But I WILL be having a garage sale this summer! Oh, and your blog background is just perfect for you!

Michele Chastain said...

I totally get where you're coming from. I have to be so careful and purge often.

Babs said...

My sister was a hoarder - worse than anything I've ever seen on the show. If you purge your stuff, you are not a hoarder, believe me. I feel so dreadfully sorry for those who hoard. It clearly isn't a free choice, but a compulsion.

Kari. said...

That show scares the living crap out of me. I have a really really tough time in throwing things out that I think may be useful. I can throw some things out, but others? For example, I want to make a scrap quilt, so I am hanging onto old and stained clothes so I can cut them up for the material. I am hanging onto old t-shirts because I want to make a t-shirt quilt. But because all I do is sort all my sh*t, I never have a chance to make things. I am selling things on ebay and that has helped. but still ...

Amy said...

That show always gets me moving, too! I feel so sad that people are hurting like that and the way it manifests itself. But the motivation I get from it certainly is a positive side effect!

Sue said...

It scares me, too. I can see how easy it would be to fall down that path. At the same time I see that I'm not THAT bad, and have felt inspired to finally clean it all up/clear it all out. I'm getting ready to get started on eBay and hopefully etsy as well, and that will help a lot. And hopefully bring in some much-needed extra income - everything is going up but my income - I work for the state and we're likely to take a big hit this year.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

You know what scares me about Hoarders? I see things in those piles sometimes that I want! LOL And I feel their pain when the sister or daughter sneers at the mess and picks up a perfectly good something-or-other, I dunno, either something valuable or a spatula or something, and tries to throw it away instead of focusing on the real garbage. Anyway, I only have those feelings. I don't hoard. Not exactly. The hardest things for me to get rid of are "creative" type things. Things I can use in a project some day. Those things are almost impossible to get rid of.

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Happy Birthday to YOU! Happy Birthday to YOU! Happy Birthday Dear Sonya!! Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!

Have only seen that show once & my thought was.. "When I die, my kids are going to think "Hoarder"
Guess I had better go & purge.....
tomorrow... :) After my B-day celebration!!
Have a really Great day!!!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

I have so many things that I want to use to craft things at some point...I have to look them over with a hard eye and be honest with myself if I am truly going to ever make those things! It is hard to ask oneself those questions.

Cherry Ripe said...

I cannot watch more than 2 minutes of that show before I am squirming in my chair, and feeling like I will be that person in a few short years!

Darth Mama said...

5 pairs of black tights? That's nothing. 5 drawers of black tights, though, and then I would start to worry.

Anonymous said...

5 pairs..!! my daughter in law has 95 pairs of Black opaque Tights..a tangled mess of Black nylon!! i am going to Burn the lot of them. Elizabeth