3/29/11

Spring Salads:

We can't get enough of them right now. Hubby likes a basic with Romaine, tomato and cukes. Bud loves just the cucumbers and can devour a whole plateful. Lu and I are addicted to Greek salads. We had them at Panera Bread several times and then I realized I could make them just as yummy at home for a fraction of the cost.





In this Greek bowl of yummy-ness I put romaine lettuce, small sweet tomatoes, some chopped up cukes, slices of shallots, black olives, feta, red wine vinegar and olive oil with lots of pepper on top before we mix it all up...



We could eat this everyday. I am also grooving the Thai Chicken salad at Panera and the Grilled Salmon Ceasar at Minervas. We have yet to recreate these at home.

What is your favorite salad?

10 comments:

DFWgirliegirl Housewife said...

OMG I love love L O V E greek salads. I have to be careful with the feta, however, because cheese is so high in fat but with feta, you really do not need much. LOVE IT.

Tiffany

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

That is so true Tiffany! I find the same when I have blue cheese...just a sprinke will do it:)

Mary said...

I LOVE greek salads. If you love cucumbers, you'll have to try cumcumber water. YES! While in California our hotel had water pitchers with slices of cucumbers floating in the water. Of course we all tried the water, we weren't missing out on anything that could be "California" while on our visit.LOL

Van said...

Yum! So quick and easy! I need to try your salad variation.

My favorite springtime salad is caprece! Just mix fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, and sliced tomatoes. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Ah, I want some now...

Jackie said...

yum! Makes me want to start planting my garden! Too bad our weather won't cooperate!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Mary, I have never tried this...it sounds so refreshing!

Van, Oh Yeah Baby...nothing like that combo, sooooo good.

Jackie, I hear you! Feels like summer will never get here. It snowed here again last night.

Amy said...

Yum! Here's my favorite - mixed greens with gorganzola, dried cranberries, sugared walnuts, and pears (the Standard restaurant near me makes something like this) -- with a vinaigrette-type or honey-mustard dressing. I want some now! :)

Melinda9 said...

My favorite is just something I call the Big Salad (a la Elaine). It can have anything and everything in it. But I do like Greek salad - my husband makes a good version. And I'm definitely going to try Amy's salad - love gorgonzola.

Passionate Thrifter said...

Wait... Panera Bread? LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE them. YUM.
Are you in CA? I haven't seen them out of CA...

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Amy...Melinda and I want you to come over for lunch and bring along that salad:)

Passionate Thrifter--Oh yeah baby! They are sprinkled all over the midwest...we were VERY excited when they arrived here about 6 or 7 years ago. And now VERY addicted:)