5/17/11

Vintage Recipe Box

I was at a rummage sale in Leeds last week, looking through tables set up in a tiny garage when I spotted this box:

I love the colors on it and do not mind a bit that the top decal is mostly gone:

This recipe box has the best color to it, it made me think of a Grandma's kitchen or Christmas time.

It had been used. It hadn't sat on a shelf admired for its prettiness...

The woman selling it said it was a gift to her and her husband 60 years ago when they were first married.

I love hearing the history of treasures thrifted!

6 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, I love the history of treasures, too. I have bought things on eBay, and written to the seller to find out about the history. Sometimes it's been really interesting. And that's what I love about items I've inherited - their story. I have 2 dresses my mother made me in 1952, plus their Christmas card picture that year shows me wearing it. Stuff like that is priceless to me.

I also like a recipe card box that looks well-used! (Mine has rust on the bottom!)-

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Love it! And I agree. Knowing it's story is so special. The onlc thing that would have made it better is if it was filled with all her recipes.

dogsmom said...

I think the treasures that were used and appreciated are the best finds.
As Wanda mentioned, if only there were some treasured recipes included.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

That would have been awesome to get the recipes, too:)

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Surfing blogland and so happy I found you! Love the recipe box! But most important was the story you have with the red box! Now that is priceless! See ya down the junkin' road!

Ninny said...

I have my mother's humble little recipe box. It's just a green metal file box stuffed to the gills with handwritten recipe cards. She would be so proud if I actually cooked something from it, but we both know that's not gonna happen. But on the rare occasion that I need to cook something for company, I go straight to her box.