8/22/11

Acts of Kindness {Meals}

Today, I drive! I have been waiting for this day for two whole weeks.
Nearly giddy with the excitement and joy of going wherever I would like to go, seeing things I haven't seen for weeks, perhaps months! I shall let you know what I find.

This showed up on our doorstep last week from my next door neighbor, Ruth. Right about the time I was wondering what on earth we were going to eat for lunch that day.







Since the surgery, we've had everything from this gorgeous sandwich platter to frozen homemade dinners to the best chicken tortilla soup I have ever eaten to lasagna to deli chicken with the yummiest cheesy potatoes. And chocolate. Because chocolate helps you heal faster. Lots and lots of chocolate. From surprise lunches, like the above all the way to my girlfriend who called and asked what kind of takeout we would like her to drop off. Every single meal was filled with kindness and love and we were all so glad to have them.

It makes me realize I need to step it up a bit more when someone is in need. We have been on the receiving end of kindness for the past few weeks and I am eager to pay that forward.

Are you good about taking meals to people? What do you like to bring?

Enjoy your day, Sonya

7 comments:

Teresa - in the Middle Side of Life said...

that is lovely! after my surgery three weeks ago, we had one neighbor leave us a $15 Subway gift card and my son-in-law fixed us dinner 3 nights. most of the times that Ron has been in the hospital or had surgery, we've not had many volunteers to do anything - probably because they figured i could fix myself something to eat. most of them didn't realize that i just came home from the hospital and went to bed, too tired to do more than maybe a bowl of cereal.

in our last church, we had a meals coordinator for when people had family members sick or in the hospital and i was on the list of who provided meals. since i didn't get home from work until late, i usually picked up KFC or something along those lines.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

How wonderful to have so many help you when you needed it by providing meals. Such a kind and thoughtful gesture. I am sure you are always the same way. Hugs, Marty

Loretta said...

This is what friends are for. Such wonderful acts of kindness. I just found your blog and would love to follow it. I just signed up! Please come over and join up with us too! Love to have you. All the best! Hugs! Loretta

aimee said...

So wonderful to have this sort of help at such a needy time! In the past, I've brought over a pasta dish of some sort or another - easy to heat up and serve and most people like pasta.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Teresa, I have been keeping your in our prayers...this has been quite a year for you.

Thank you for the well wishes Marty and Loretta!

Aimee, I like the pasta, too...it is easy to make, easy to freeze, easy to reheat.

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

That's so nice to hear that people are blessing you and your family wiht meals!
I like to take grilled chicken caesar salad, and bread sticks. I usually grill up a bunch of chicken at one time, and freeze it, then when someone needs a meal, I package up the croutons, chicken, cheese and lettuce all in separate baggies or containers and also a separate container for dressing. I get the plain partially baked frozen bread sticks and pop them in the oven brushed with melted butter, sprinkled with coarse salt and shredded Parmesan.
It's usually a pretty safe meal-no onions, or other things that might not be liked.
I'll have to remember to add in a bag of some chocolate though next time! :)

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

BHTS--That is a FAB meal idea...I love it! And I have you lined up to bring it Friday. Bahahaha:)