1/31/12

The Shape Of A Year by Jean Hersey (Book Thrift)


 I have been thrifting a lot of books the past month. A LOT of books. Some of them for Memory Lane, some for Etsy, some for me to take up to the lake this summer and some that will be kept in my collection here.

Isn't it funny how thrifting finds come in waves? I am coming across tons of Children's books, New Fiction, Nonfiction and Cookbooks in abundance right now. From people clearing things out after Christmas, perhaps?

One of my favorites has been this book by Jean Hersey from the 60's "The Shape Of A Year". The woman knew how to enjoy the simple things in life and appreciate the things we (I) so often take for granted.

I really struggle with stopping and fully enjoying little moments...there is a to-do list of my very own making that often times becomes my obsession, trying to get things done and crossed off and then filled in with more things to get done. Not that there isn't a place for all that. But this book is reminding me, teaching me, to open my eyes to some things that shouldn't just be passed over, but fully savoured.



From what I can tell by online research, this book is now out of print...but if you come across it, buy it and read it.

Enjoy your day, Sonya

6 comments:

Carol Pirozek said...

I agree Sonya~we all need to just slow up some and enjoy every day and not get into such a fast pace doing this and doing that..some of my fondest memories were sitting next to my Gramma and just watching her crochet or make her homemade bread~seems like such simpler times then...I'm loooking for this book!!Thanks for sharing!! have a great day!!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

What wonderful memories!

Mitzi said...

I have that book on my stack to read while I am on vacation. I love this style of writing. Simple living and simple pleasures.

aimee said...

A friend loaned me her copy of this book years ago and I loved it - happily, shortly thereafter I found my own copy at a used bookstore. My husband always likes to joke, though, that how can anyone tell what shape a year actually is?

Anonymous said...

The book sounds like something I can Benefit from. I will have to keep my eyes open for this one.

#95 Deb

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

I am so glad that you guys have found this book, too!!