3/19/12

Crocheting a Christmas Afghan

When I want to learn about something, my first step is typically to google. My second step is to browse the library catalog and check out anything and pretty much everything that is going to teach me.

Case in point: I want to learn to crochet. I realized it was crochet after seeing some gorgeous blankets that I thought might be knitted. Everything is knitted these days, right? Stop laughing. Anyway, everything that was catching my eye, blanket wise, had been crocheted! So crochet is going to be my next obsession. Frightening, sometimes, how my brain works.

So far, I have checked out 3 items from the library: A book of learning to crochet, A book of learning to crochet for CHILDREN and a video so I can watch someone teach me to crochet. There are more books coming.

My goal is to learn to make something along the lines of this:

Via SugarSCOUT on Etsy. Click on the picture to see more of this gorgeous afghan!
If it does NOT go well, I will need to purchase the above piece.

Do you crochet? Knit? Sew? 

12 comments:

Shirley Goff said...

YouTube has several series of videos on how to crochet produced by experts.

stacy@sugarSCOUT said...

Hey Sonya,
Thanks for the sweet sugarSHOUT! sugarSCOUT digs DimeStoreThrift!

Have a great day.
sara & stacy

Amy said...

I just learned how to crochet (January) and was making granny squares after my second "lesson" -- you can totally do this! I am NOT very crafty and yet I am already making fun afghans, crocheted borders, etc. etc. A VERY addictive hobby, and you will love it!! For me, books/videos didnt' work -- I needed someone to show me how in person. Take a look at the craft stores and libraries near you -- I'll bet someone offers workshops. Have fun!!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

I learned a very basic stitch long time ago and hope to re-learn myself. Do you have any classes at your local yarn/craft shops? Or do you have a local knitters or crocheters group? That's what I'm going to look for. BTW, I'm a new follower!

Carol Pirozek said...

Hey Sonya!!I can crochet blind folded...and I would be oh so happy to teach you to crochet~anytime anywhere..I have been crocheting since I was 6~its my passion!! :-)

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

You all are so supportive! Between the books, youtube videos (there are a lot!) And Carols expert advice, I am SO going to get that blanket done. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Trudy Holtz said...

Good luck! I tried to learn to knit and crochet...that did not go well. my stitches just keep getting smaller and smaller and tighter and tighter. Then I throw it across the room and read a book.

My tip is to relax. When you feel yourself getting really frustrated with whatever it is, RELAX. If you don't, your stitches will get tighter and your projects will look like mine!

~Trudy@ http://thriftscore42.blogspot.com/

svelteSTUFF said...

I can't 'knit', but 'crochet' is EASY!! WATCH OUT ~ from yarn you'll be heading to 'PLARN' (my latest ADDICTION)!!!!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Ok Svelte...Googling PLARN now!!

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

OhMyGoodness...now that is cool, too! Let me get just yarn down before I move on;)

GARAGE SALE GAL ~ Deb's Earthly Delights said...

Sometimes I think about knitting...however I have enough projects for now.
Congrat's to the winner of your giveaway.
deb

Anonymous said...

When I was first married (almost 40 years ago) my mother-in-law taught me how to crochet. I had fun making blankets and dollies!!!

You will love it.
#95 Deb